Interesting Facts About Colin O’Donoghue – Captain Hook From ‘Once Upon A Time’
Colin O’Donoghue, who has won the ‘Once Upon A Time’ fans’ hearts with his charming smile, is an Irish actor and musician from Drogheda, County Louth. He was born on January 1981 to Con and Mary O’Donoghue. Here are some interesting facts about the fan-favorite Captain Killian ‘Hook’ Jones:
- Colin was one of the finalists for the role of Superman/Clark Kent in the 2013 movie “Man of Steel,” before Henry Cavill was finalized for the role.
- Sarah Bolger, who portrayed the character of Aurora a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty in “Once Upon A Time,” claimed in an interview that her first on-screen kiss was with Colin O’Donoghue.
- However, it was not in the “OUAT” series, but in their first film together – “The Tudors” in which Bolger’s character Lady Mary Tudor, unsuccessfully courted Colin’s character Duke Philip of Bavaria, for a brief period of time.
- His Hollywood film debut was in the horror thriller movie “The Rite,” alongside Anthony Hopkins. For the audition for his role as Michael Kovak in this movie, he shot a video in his friend’s home studio in Drogheda and sent it to the United States.
- He, along with his close friend, Ronan McQuillan, founded a five member Irish band, The Enemies, in the year 2003. He was the guitarist for the band and also sang backing vocals.
- General Motors called for this band to record tracks for their online campaign of “Chevy route 66,” despite being unsigned. They also worked on the music for Coca-Cola’s “5BY20” project.
- The band’s debut album was initially scheduled for a March 2013 released, which was delayed to 2014. But, O’Donoghue left the band in May 2013 due to “Once Upon A Time” show’s filming schedule.
- Colin had been a big supporter of the legalization of civil marriages between homosexuals in Ireland, in the name of Equality before the Law.
- His performance in the role as Norman Quested in “Home for Christmas,” earned him a Best New Talent award, at the very first Irish Film and Television Awards ceremony.
- He and his wife Helen have been together since they were 18 years old. They got married in 2009, and have two kids – a son named Evan James O’Donoghue, born in August 2013, and a daughter named Millie, born in May 2017.
- He appears in Christina Perri’s “The Words” music video, which Perri dedicated to O’Donoghue’s character – Captain Hook in “Once Upon A Time.”
- Colin O’Donoghue attended The Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin. At the young age of just 16, he stayed in Paris for an entire month, just to learn French. In his school days, he was hopeful to have a career in animation and special effects.
- He was cast as the lead in “The Dust Storm”, as a musician named Brennan. During the filming, he often played pranks on his co-stars and even the entire crew.