10 Surprising Facts We Bet You Didn’t Know About Supernatural
Almost 13 years and still, “We Want More” is what the fans keep asking from “Supernatural,” one of the best series of all time. With a lot of twist and turns, humor filled scenes, monster fighting, and devastating emotions, there has neither been a single bad episode, nor a just fine episode. Every hour of the show, still brings in fresh air, and not to forget thrill.
- Neither the crew, nor the cast members thought the show would last such a longer time. On the hundredth episode party, Castiel (Misha Collins) called out to everyone saying “Maybe we’ll see you at the two hundredth!” much to everyone’s laughter as they felt the show would be long gone by that time. It seems that Angels are most of the time correct! What can we say, we are a fan of Castiel too!
- In the early stages of the first written draft, the series was named as “Unnatural,” which we agree is quite creepy. It was when the series was going to be filmed, that the team decided with the name “Supernatural.” Let’s say, they made an awesome decision!
- Creator Eric Kripke initially planned for the series to last for just five seasons. This is the reason, the season five finale was titled “Swan Song.” Thank god, Kripke’s plan failed.
- Bobby Singer (Jim Beaver) was only supposed to make a one-time appearance, in the first season finale “Devil’s Trap.” But was soon made one of the regulars for the next few seasons. Well, some of us still want Bobby, isn’t it?
- The first name intended for the brother’s was actually Harrisons, as a tribute to Harrison Ford. They had to change it because someone in Kansas had the name Sam Harrison. However, the Winchester name, is actually not a fictional one, as there is reportedly a huge Victorian style house in California owned By Sarah Winchester the widow of William Wirt Winchester. Many people claim the house is haunted by evil and ghosts to punish Sarah for her husband’s bad deeds! Thus, it makes sense, to name the most famous ghost hunter family, though fictional, as the Winchesters.
- Sam Winchester (Jared Padalecki) dislocated his shoulder while wrestling with Osric Chau (Kevin Tran). The writers were then forced to make up a story as to why Sam was wearing a sling in the beginning of Season 10. If we are not wrong, Sam had a sling was one of the biggest spoilers of the season premiere.
- Actually, it was for the role of Sam Winchester that Jensen Ackles auditioned for. But just as Jared Padalecki came in and read for the role of Sam, the producers did a slight re-casting. Dean was called and asked if his charm could be used for the Han Solo character of Dean among the Winchester Brothers and Dean accepted immediately. He later revealed that he was previously interested in the role of Dean, as he felt it was funny.
- Castiel was originally supposed to make only a couple of guest appearances in season four. However, he was changed to a regular, due to enormous fan response. He once joked that he maybe wouldn’t have used such a low gravelly voice for his role, had he known he’d be on the show so frequently, because it hurts his throat. It hurts us too, that you are hurting, but we are not sure if we need anything about Castiel to change, be it just his voice.
- Jensen Ackles auditioned for the role of Captain America in the “Avengers” movie, but was offered the role of Hawkeye. However, he had to let the offer go and stay with “Supernatural” series, as the schedules conflicted. Lucky us, we wouldn’t have liked him let go the role of Dean Winchester, though we would get to see him holding a bow and fighting along Hulk and Thor!!
- In the original draft, Dean was supposed to have lots of tattoos, but the show’s budget for the first season – a mere 200.000 dollars couldn’t allow it. The said budget included the actors’ wages and the special effects too. Maybe, in season 2, he could have got some tattoos, as we don’t think the fans would object it.