Killer Facts About Kim Soo-Hyun That Makes You Crazy
Kim Soo-Hyun is a South Korean multi-talented actor, singer and model who gained fame and recognition both domestically and internationally through various television series and movies in the recent years. Placed 4th in the Forbes Korea Power Celebrity list in 2013, 2nd in 2015 and 5th in 2016, here are some interesting facts about him.
- He joined the military camp in Paju, Gyeonggi Province on October 23, 2017 to complete his mandatory military service. Due to his exceptional conduct he was given an early promotion as Sergeant in early 2019. He got discharged from military in July 2019.
- Post his return from active military service in the South Korean Army in 2019, he took up a leading role in TV series “It’s Okay to Not be Okay”. He plays Moon Kang-tae, a health worker at a psychiatric hospital, who meets Ko Moon-young (played by Seo Ye-ji) a children’s book author with antisocial personality disorder..
- During his high school days he was encouraged by his mother to take up acting classes to overcome his introvert personality. He joined Film and Theater department in Chung Ang University in 2009.
- His father Kim Chung-Hoon was a lead singer in the band “Seven Dolphins”. His paternal half-sister Kim Ju-Na is also a singer.
- He was cast in the musical drama “Dream High” in 2011 where he was the youngest actor among the idols in the cast. To perform his role perfectly he studied dance and songs for 3 months.
- He won Best New Actor Award in 2010 for his role in period drama “Giant”. The movie revolves around revenge of the 3 siblings who got separated during childhood.
- His association with the management agency KeyEast came to an end on December 2019 which had lasted for 10 years. He was rumored to establish a one man agency but eventually joined Gold Medalist in January 2020.
- He became a professional bowler in 2016 and in his first tournament he was placed in 10th position among 114 participants. But in his second tournament he failed to qualify as he scored only 192.3 points instead of the required 200.
- He won the Deasang (Grand Prize in Korea) at the 7th Korea Drama Awards for his role in the fantasy romance series “My Love from the Star” in 2013 – 2014. The series became so popular that it sparked new trends in fashion, restaurants and make-up, even in China.
- Kim took part in the opening ceremony of the 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games in China and sang the official theme song “Light up the Future”.
- He won his second Deasang at the 8th Korea Drama Awards and his 4th APAN Star Awards for his performance in the drama “The Producers”.
- In 2013-2014 his popularity exploded so much that he endorsed 35 products at a time. In 2012 he had set records for endorsements with 17 endorsements simultaneously.
- He played the character Zampano in the star studded heist film “The Thieves” in 2012. It became the eighth highest grossing film in Korean Film history. It was also touted as the Korean version of “Ocean’s Eleven” in the press.
- He was made a Goodwill Ambassador of Seoul in 2014. He was also made PRO of his alma mater Chung-Ang University.